Today, the situation in our oceans is such that a number of species, for various reasons, are or are becoming depleted. Responsible authorities' inability to implement and enforce fishing quotas and fishing methods, and control them, has largely created the situation we have today.
Illegal fishing and illegal fishing practices, which override the fishing quotas and applicable regulations, and a negative environmental impact on marine ecosystems, have also contributed greatly to fish species and fish numbers being decimated.
Martin & Servera recognizes the problems and wants help to offset depletion and/or negative impacts on ecosystems. We do this by demanding that our suppliers ensure that all applicable laws and regulations are adhered to, both in their own work and their subcontractors.
Martin & Servera wants to purchase fish and shellfish that are produced sustainably and thus counteract overfishing and/or negative impact on the ecosystem. We do this by:
- Actively adjusting our range to replace non-certified products with certified ones
- Always certifying our private-label products as soon as volumes are available
- Demanding that subcontractors expand their range of fish and shellfish with certified products
- In marketing initiatives, prioritize fish and shellfish products that are third-party certified to MSC, ASC or KRAV ahead of non-certified products
- Setting goals for increasing the sale of organic products, including MSC- and ASC-labelled products
For fish and shellfish products that are not third-party certified, we make decisions on which species, origins and fishing methods we approve or reject for sale, based on information from environmental organizations, authorities and trade organizations. Our main sources are:
- ICES (International Council for the Exploration of the Sea)
- HaV (Swedish Agency for Marine and Water Management)
- WWF (World Wildlife Fund)
- SNF (Swedish Society for Nature Conservation)
Our current range of fish and shellfish is always listed on our website and the list is updated on a continuous basis.
Martin & Servera is certified to the MSC Chain of Custody Standard for Seafood Traceability. This means that we meet the demands of the standard and are subject to regular review by a third party. Traceability is thus guaranteed so that customers of Martin & Servera that are MSC-certified themselves can actively market MSC-labelled fish products on their menus. The certification also covers ASC-labelled products (farmed fish and shellfish products). Martin & Servera is also certified to the KRAV standard.
Uppdaterad 10 augusti 2016