Illegal fishing and illegal fishing practices override the fishing quotas and applicable regulations, and have a negative environmental impact on marine ecosystems. These illegalities have also largely contributed to fish species and fish numbers being decimated.
Working toward a solution
Martin & Servera recognizes these problems and wants to help offset depletion and/or negative impacts on ecosystems. We do this by demanding that our suppliers ensure that all applicable laws and regulations are adhered to, both in their own work and their subcontractors’ work.
Martin & Servera wants to purchase fish and shellfish that are produced sustainably and thus counteract overfishing and/or negative impacts on the ecosystem. This is done by:
- actively adjusting our range to replace non-certified products with certified ones
- always certifying our private-label products as soon as sufficient volumes are available
- demanding that subcontractors expand their range of fish and shellfish with certified products
- in marketing initiatives, prioritize fish and shellfish products that are third-party certified by MSC, ASC or KRAV ahead of non-certified products
- setting goals for increasing the sale of organic products, including products with the MSC and ASC labels
Which species make the list?
For fish and shellfish products that are not third-party certified, we make decisions on which species, origins and fishing methods we approve or reject for sale, based on information from environmental organizations, authorities and trade organizations. Our main sources are:
- ICES (International Council for the Exploration of the Sea)
- HaV (Swedish Agency for Marine and Water Management)
- WWF (World Wildlife Fund)
- SNF (Swedish Society for Nature Conservation)
Our current range of fish and shellfish is always listed on our website and the list is updated on a regular basis.
Martin & Servera is certified by the MSC Chain of Custody Standard for Seafood Traceability. This means that we meet the demands of the standard and are subject to regular review by a third party. Traceability is thus guaranteed so that customers of Martin & Servera that are MSC-certified themselves can actively market MSC-labelled fish products on their menus. The certification also covers ASC-labelled products (farmed fish and shellfish products). Martin & Servera also meets the KRAV standard requirements, and holds their certification.